green pea minty pasta and vegetable dreams!


Ah, ye olde humble pea.

Peas are up there as one of my favourite vegetables... TOP 5 AT LEAST!

This dish happily brewed away in my mind (whilst watching Oprah - gosh love her) and then came together all lovingly, peacefully and perfectly in the kitchen afterwards.


Yes, it's pasta - which isn't exactly great for you, BUT, it's fulla green vegies and everybody knows they are amazing for you!

RIGHT?
Right.

I used a mixture of rotini and conchiglie, because I'm pretty out of control like that.


Speaking of out of control peas.. how about some adult pea costume action over here?!


Quite possibly one of the best things I have ever seen!!

Although my mum will attest to the fact that I've always been a fan of the humble carrot costume..



Check out that leg flip! 
This is amazing. 

I think I need one.

ALRIGHTY - back to cooking!

Minty green pea pesto pasta.

3 cups your favourite pasta (uncooked) 

2 cups frozen peas
3 peeled garlic cloves

2 Tablespoons horseradish or wasabi (or half each!)
1 handful mint
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
salt to taste

1/2 onion, sliced
1/2 zucchini, sliced
1 cup broccoli florets
3/4 cup chopped eggplant
1 handful green olives, roughly chopped
1 Tablespoon capers

Cook pasta to packet instructions, keeping 1 mug of hot starchy pasta water aside.

Cook peas and garlic in boiling water for 1 min - do not overcook them - overcooked peas are the bane of my existence! 

Strain and set into a blender. Add horseradish (and/or wasabi), mint, lemon juice, salt and a dash of either water or oil. Blitz until smooth, but still thick. Taste and season (you want it to be a little too lemony, salty and spicy - it will mellow in the pasta).

Fry all the rest of the vegetables until brown, tasty and evenly cooked.

Add strained pasta to vegetable mix and slowly add in spoonfuls of pea mixture (I didn't use all of mine). Add in hot starchy pasta water now to thin it out to desired consistency!


What are you waiting for, punk? 
EAT IT!


Comments

  1. indeed the best pea popping pesto pasta ever!You my little pea loving person are promising perfection in your presentation aas always - and yes, you did indeed always want to wear the beloved carrot costume...and I promise you, that one day you, Amy and I will go into town on the train as we always threatened to ...dressed as vegetables! You a carrot, Amy a chili and me - well, quite possibly a pumpkin! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for perusing my blog, I'll try to reply to all comments :D

Popular Posts