Travel post #1: Thailand and Vietnam food finds!

xin chào from Vietnam!

So I guess I couldn't stay away long! Just a quick post to show you what I've been eating for the past 10 days.

Armed with an open mind, a phrase book, a 'veggie passport' app and a big smile, I haven't encountered too many problems at all finding vegie food in Asia! Everyone has been more than happy to accommodate me in both Thailand and Vietnam. (Especially in Bangkok.)

 My very first meal... Mmmm they forgot to bring a vegie meal for me!

 A sideways view of the best red curry I have ever had in my life in Bangkok!
 Miscellaneous grilled animal goods in Bangkok.

 Hot and sour tofu soup in Bangkok.

 INSANE pad thai stalls everywhere along Khao San Rd, Bangkok. Just point and tell them what you want. For less than $1!

 The best meal I've had so far, in Bangkok. Spicy coconut sauce with vegetable and tofu. I am loving all of the pickled chillies and condiments on the tables over here :D

 A favourite go-to meal. Stir fried morning glory with chilli and garlic in Bangkok! 

 Fast forward to Vietnam - Da Lat to be specific. Found THIS little gem of a restaurant last night. 
ALL VEGIE! Me + bun + new silk scarf bought straight from the maker.

Tofu with mushrooms in pepper sauce, spring rolls, chrysanthemum tea, pak choy with mushrooms and fried rice. (last 2 not pictured)

 DELICIOUS fresh fruit available everywhere in Vietnam.

 For a bit of a Western fix, nori flavoured chips!

 This was actually my first meal in Ho Chi Minh.. a plate of rice, and a side of lettuce, mint and coriander. I spiced it up with some chillies, soy sauce, pickled garlic and love. To be fair.. it was only 25c!

 Vietnamese iced coffee - the best I've ever tasted.

 After a 7 hour bus trip and not having eaten all day long, we managed to find vegie pizzas in Da Lat! Pineapple, mushroom, capsicum, onion and cheese. Just what I wanted!

 The spread of breakfast included in our room deal at the Thien An Hotel in Da Lat. AMAZING. This alone is worth getting out of bed for! 
Fresh baguettes (they're so good here), avocado, tomato, cheese, banana, pineapple, dragon fruit, watermelon, passionfruit, peanut butter, VEGEMITE - YES!, marmite, strawberry jam, yoghurt, tea, coffee and passionfruit juice! OH MY GOODNESS.

and last but obviously not least, this amazing beauty we went to see yesterday. 
Perfection.


*Most of the vegetarian food we found in Bangkok was surrounding Soi Rongmai, Chao Fa Rd, Phanakhon. Or anywhere near Khao San Rd really. We were lucky to have two vegetarian street stalls right opposite our hotel. Pure bliss! 

*I've been using Trip Advisor and Happy Cow to find me specific restaurants if I'm not in the mood for altering a dish in a meaty restaurant.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions of places to go/foods for me to try in South East Asia or Nepal?

Comments

  1. ooooooo baby bug - the food is soooo awesome. I checked out Da Lat and read that they make the most beautiful silk EVER and there you are already wearing a silk scarf hand made there! Love the Buddha, his beauty, simplicity, serene, sweet goodness is soooo you! love love love you little one.......will look forward to reading this blog too. hug the Aaroonie boy from me xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you go to Kathmandu, Nepal, there is a vegetarian restaurant near Bothnath (a temple)with a balcony that had a nice view of Bothnath at sunset. An you HAVE to try Dahl Bhat at least once! It is rice, dhal (lentils), curry and some sort of spice/pickle. Each cook has it's own version. I lived of that stuf for 16 days during a trekking in the Himalaya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. where are you going in SEA? I am brimming with recs for Malaysia and Singapore. :oD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredibly late replies: ! We're off to Nepal in a few weeks, so thanks for the heads up. I'm looking forward to all of the veggie options I will get there, and I'm a sucker for Dhal so it should be delicious!

    Steph, I wish I was going to Malaysia, but just Vietnam, Thailand and Nepal.. any tips for there?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for perusing my blog, I'll try to reply to all comments :D

Popular Posts