Damn straight I made sushi..

Sushi seems to be my go-to cheap lunch for work days. Orrr non-work days really. hehehe.


Truth is, I used to hate sushi. I actually had a gag reflex whenever I tried it. BUT ENOUGH ABOUT THAT! 

Now, somehow, I love it, am possibly obsessed with it and spend too much money on it. Thus, came my desire to make my own! :D

I watched lotsa youtube movies and read many recipes to come up with my own. It really is super easy and the options of fillings are endless. I opted for easy cucumber, avocado, capsicum this time; but tempura pumpkin is my favourite! Check out this blog post for sweet ideas!

Here goes: 

500mL sushi rice* (2 cups)
600mL water

75mL rice vinegar
10mL sugar
5mL salt

nori sheets
vegies for the filling, thinly sliced

wasabi
soy sauce

sushi mat

sushi buddy

THE RICE:



Rinse rice in a colander for a good five minutes until the water running off is entirely clear. Leave to drain for 1 hour.

In a heavy saucepan, place measured water and rice and bring to a boil.

Once boiled, turn down to lowest setting, place the lid on top and set the timer for 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes, turn off the heat but DO NOT OPEN THE LID! Let the rice steam for another 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix together your vinegar, sugar and salt and microwave for 30 seconds until all dissolved.

Now grab a big bowl (wooded is best, but I used glass), dump the rice in and spread it out with a wooden spoon/sushi paddle and get your sushi buddy ready with a fan (we used a placemat)! Carefully spoon the vinegar mixture all over the rice as your sushi buddy fans and you cut and move the rice around - being careful not to break up the grains or damage any of your hard work!

Continue to fan/move rice until it reaches room temperature - about 5 minutes (depending on how good your sushi-buddy's fanning skills are).

LETS ROLL:

(mmmm.. don't put this much filling!)

et voila!

Roughly divide your rice into four parts - this will make 4 large sushi rolls.

Get your nori sheet and lay it shiny side down on your sushi mat. Using wet hands place 1/4 of the rice on your sheet and spread it out evenly, pressing it down hard and leaving 5cms at the top for rolling/sealing. 

Rub a tiny squeeze of wasabi across the middle of the rice for extra joy. Layer your vegies in the centre of the rice. 

Wet the opposite end of the nori a little to help it to stick to the roll. Using the sushi mat, roll the nori over the filling and pull back to form a tight circle. Proceed to roll the nori all the way to the end and squeeze to seal. 

Make sense?!

NOW:
Invite all of your friends over for a sushi party and as you place your sushi platter on the table scream "I MADE THIS, GUYS, I MADE THIS!" ; )





Tipstips:
*The only thing I would change for next time would be to buy real Japanese brand sushi rice, as mine was expensive for how much I actually got in the end.

Also, mine tasted more like authentic sushi after a few hours in the fridge - the nori was still quite dry and crispy before that allowed time. 

Comments

  1. Yes, Zen house dumplings are delish! I tried them there then decided I had to make my own :)

    ROse

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for perusing my blog, I'll try to reply to all comments :D

Popular Posts