Carb-free! (ish)

Comfort food..

It's a very personal thing. In the past, comfort food to me has been giant (i mean giant) bowls of pasta, even more giant plates of pierogis, fresh tiger loaf slathered with cold butter, and of COURSE absolutely massive turkish bread sandwiches and vegie burgers with poutine!

Didyanotice that that is all carbohydrates?! Thus my problem! So I am cutting down on me carbs! I do actually already feel a lot better already, 1 week into it. It is too easy to whip up a meal around carbs, so it definitely takes some brain power to steer clear of them.

I haven't cut out wrap bread though, as I am a wrap-lover and would probably cry without them ;) Its been pretty easy to snack on fruits and nuts instead actually. For the time being I've also cut out anything overly sugary, such as energy drinks/high-suger juices and chocolate. (the chocolate I miss already!)

One night this week Muffin and I shared a lovely salad plate. We ate it with a few multi-grain vita weats (my favourite bikkie), but essentially just filled up on vegie goodness.


And my most delicious meal this week was actually just a tofu scramble! I shouldn't say just because you should never underestimate a good tofu scramble! This one was more of a dinner edition than a brekky edition though. So easy and SO delicious!



1/2 zucchini, sliced
3 mushrooms, sliced
1/4 red capsicum, sliced
1 spring onion, sliced
1 carrot, grated
1/4 cup cooked spinach, chopped
1/2 block tofu
1 teaspoon nigella seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon sriracha
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

1/2 avocado
1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds.

Add all vegies into a hot frying pan and fry for a couple of minutes until starting to colour. Crumble in the tofu and break down as much as you desire. Add in the rest of the spices and fry for about 5-10 minutes until it is relatively dry and toasty in colour! Serve with fresh avocado and sesame seeds sprinkled on top!
I ate this with beet hummus, rocket pesto and avocado spread onto corn thins.

Another night I made a sort of pizza but used a super thin whole-wheat wrap bread instead of white hunks of dough.


I dry-fried the wrap bread on one side and then topped it with some rocket pesto and a mixture of fried zucchini, mushroom, eggplant and spinach. I added fresh diced tomato, some salt and pepper and a little bit of cheese. I grilled it in the oven and the whole process took about 15 minutes! To serve I dolloped on some beet hummus, avocado and sriracha. Yuuuuuuuuuuuumm.

Comments

  1. whoa. that actually made my tummy rumble!! looks seriously delicious and amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All this food looks awesome! You eat such yummy things. Feeling like pizza now.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of adding nigella seeds to tofu scramble! I think, riffing on your recipe, I'll use my panch phora in my next batch, though will have to sub in tabasco for the sriracha... Your salad plate looks like such snacky fun, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many great looking foods on that plate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carla, nawwww - so nice! :D

    Rose, the pizza was super tasty and so easy too! your food always looks yummy too.

    Hannah, i freaking LOVE the taste of nigella seeds, so good. And I almost used panch phora in mine.. how weird!

    Monique, thanks, twas divine! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for perusing my blog, I'll try to reply to all comments :D

Popular Posts