Salt and Pepper Tofu and Cold Rolls.

Salt and Pepper tofu! I. Love. It. Almost everyone in my family loves it too! My brother is a deep-frying connoisseur, hence we have tried many different variations of this recipe. First of all you have to decide what tofu consistency you like best. I like the silken firm and muffin likes the firm. The most simple and light coating to use is corn flour. With that said, the most fatty and oily (but still devilishly delicious!) coating is a beer batter! MAN IT IS GOOD. It's like a vegetarian fish and chips - but with tofu. So very tasty.



You'll need to heat the vegetable (or peanut) oil to around 200C, roll the cubes of tofu in the corn flour and drop them in the oil. If you're using silken firm, the easiest way to flip them is with a fork - so you don't break them, if not just use tongs. They take about 5 - 10 minutes, depending on how hot your oil is etc. Drain them slightly and place in a bowl with freshly crushed sea salt and black + white pepper. Garnish with finely sliced red chilli and spring onion. YUM YUM YUM. This is so simple - but really amazingly delicious. The crispy outside with the soft tofu inside is heaaaavvvennnnnnn.
If you use firm tofu it can also benefit from a light soy sauce marinade before the flour too.

It is best eaten with steamed rice and asian greens in garlic sauce. My opinion. But I am very correct. hahaha.

Cold Rolls are a delight. I make them often, that's possibly because I like to play with my food! I use rice vermicelli noodles and then a mixture of finely sliced vegetables. Whatever is laying around in the fridge really. The only one vegetable that MUST be in there (says I) is cucumber, oh and mint. Obviously mint. These ones have noodles, mint, cucumber, carrot, capsicum, mushroom, toasted sesame seeds and crispy fried shallots. 


I serve mine with 2 sauces.
A creamy peanut sauce: Mix 1 Tablespoon peanut butter with 1 Tablespoon coconut milk and a squirt of sriracha.

Also a soy dipping sauce: Mix 1 Tablespoon light soy, 1 Tablespoon dark soy, 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon sriracha, 1/2 teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds. If you prefer a thicker sauce then you can thicken it with a teaspoon corn flour.

Comments

Popular Posts